Improvers navigation course (1 day)
About improvers navigation course
This course is held in the hills west of Laragh, in the Wicklow mountains.
In this 1 day course we will reprise some basic navigation techniques and cover the more advanced skills of route finding, including:
- Devising a navigation strategy.
- Pacing and timing over varying terrain.
- Walking on a compass bearing to locate a feature.
- Using navigation techniques including aiming off, tick features, catching features and attack points.
- Interpreting contour features, large and small, on the map and on the ground.
- Relocation strategies.
- Route planning and route cards, with regard for safety and terrain.
- Access rights and responsibilities. (inc. Leave No Trace)
This course is run at a maximum ratio of 1:8 to ensure each client gets the most out of the day
|MEETING POINT||Brockagh Church car park, Laragh 09.00am|
|WHAT TO BRING||Good hiking boots and waterproof clothing are essential; hiking trousers are advised, (no jeans please); spare warm layer; hat and gloves; lunch and/or snacks; water or juice drink, (1.5 litres); small rucksack to carry it all in.|
How to get to the start:
To get to Laragh from Dublin take the N11 heading south. Get off at Kilmacanogue, (R775), and head for Roundwood. Go through Roundwood, then Annamoe and on to Laragh. The church is near the resource centre, turn right after the petrol station.
Introduction to Navigation Course Testimonials:
“I did an Improvers Navigation Course with Russ last weekend and learned loads. Finally I got to grips with taking a bearing – Russ is a great teacher and his mantra of ‘are you seeing what you expect?’ is so useful! From the moment we met up we were learning and putting what we learnt into practice. As a by product we had a super days hiking – win win! I’d definitely recommend the navigation training – learn while doing something you enjoy – who could ask for better.” – Harpy14, Dublin, ireland
Further reading on our blog:
Course & Hikes Calendar
Use the calendar below to find available dates for this course. The arrow buttons will take you to the next or previous month.