Introduction to navigation – part 2
Follow on from ‘Introduction to Navigation’
This course builds on the skills learnt in the Introduction to Navigation course. The day will be spent out in the mountains around the village of Laragh.
About introduction to navigation – part 2
Today we will revisit those skills learnt on day one of the course.
In addition we will cover:
- The use of handrails, tick features and catching features as part of a navigation strategy.
- Interpreting contours to identify approximate slope angles, re-entrants, tops, spurs and saddles.
- Relocation using simple techniques on paths and other handrails.
- Use of a compass to take a bearing from the map to indicate direction of travel.
- Introduce the technique of pacing.
- Taking a safe and suitable route.
- Understanding access rights and responsibilities, (including Leave No Trace)
This course is run at a maximum ratio of 1:8 to ensure each client gets the most out of the day.
|MEETING POINT||Brockagh Church car park, Laragh 09.00am|
|WHAT TO BRING||Good hiking boots and waterproof clothing are essential; hiking trousers are advised, (no jeans please); spare warm layer; hat and gloves; lunch and/or snacks; water or juice drink, (1.5 litres); small rucksack to carry it all in.|
How to get to the start:
To get to Laragh from Dublin take the N11 heading south. Get off at Kilmacanogue, (R775), and head for Roundwood. Go through Roundwood, then Annamoe and on to Laragh. The church is near the resource centre, turn right after the petrol station.
Introduction to Navigation Course Testimonials:
“…Russ provided excellent instruction on the basics of map-reading and using a compass. In the afternoon, Russ had us put our new skills to the test by finding our way from the village of Laragh up to Brockagh East and viewpoints of Glendalough and Glenmacnass valley. It was a great way to spend the day learning in a beautiful area with a talented instructor.” John P – reviewed 12th August 2015
Further reading on our blog:TO BOOKING FORM FULL CALENDAR OF ALL EVENTS
Find a date below and use the form to book
Below you’ll find dates for this course for the next 4 months, for more events and further dates for this event view the full calendar.
No hikes or courses
No hikes or courses