Event Type Improvers Navigation
Carlingford, Sieve Foy and the Cooley
Day into night navigation
Derrybawn and Glendalough
Derrybawn Ridge Hike
Djouce, Warhill and Tonduff
Expedition and trek training
Galtymore and the Cushnabinnia Horseshoe
Hill Walking - getting started
Introduction to navigation day 1
Introduction to navigation day 2
Introduction to scrambling
Landscape Photography Workshop
Mountain Skills 1
Mountain Skills 2
Mountain Skills Refresher Day
North Wales Weekend
One day First Aid course
REC 3 (rescue & emergency care) First Aid weekend
REC 3 Re-validation
Scotland Winter Skills Ben Nevis Weekend
The Spinc - Glendalough
Tibradden Hill & Fairy Castle
Wicklow Wild Camping Weekend
GO TO COURSE BOOKING PAGE > If you know your
If you know your way around a map and compass but are not sure if you could get off a hill safely if the hill fog came down. If you want to be able to navigate accurately away from paths, and on featureless terrain, then this Improvers Navigation Course is for you.
In this course we will reprise some basic navigation techniques and cover the more advanced skills of route finding, including:
- Devising a navigation strategy.
- Pacing and timing over varying terrain.
- Walking on a compass bearing to locate a feature.
- Using navigation techniques including aiming off, tick features, catching features and attack points.
- Interpret contour features, large and small, on the map and on the ground.
- Relocation strategies.
- Route planning, with regard for safety and terrain.
This course is run at a maximum ratio of 1:8 to ensure each client gets the most out of the day.
Location: Brockagh, Wicklow Mountains
Duration: 1 Day
All Day (Saturday)