Event Type Introduction to navigation day 1
Carlingford, Sieve Foy and the Cooley
Day into night navigation
Derrybawn and Glendalough
Derrybawn Ridge Hike
Djouce, Warhill and Tonduff
Expedition and trek training
Galtymore and the Cushnabinnia Horseshoe
Hill Walking - getting started
Introduction to navigation day 1
Introduction to navigation day 2
Introduction to scrambling
Landscape Photography Workshop
Mountain Skills 1
Mountain Skills 2
Mountain Skills Refresher Day
North Wales Weekend
One day First Aid course
REC 3 (rescue & emergency care) First Aid weekend
REC 3 Re-validation
Scotland Winter Skills Ben Nevis Weekend
The Spinc - Glendalough
Tibradden Hill & Fairy Castle
Wicklow Wild Camping Weekend
GO TO COURSE BOOKING PAGE > This beginners course is aimed at those who want to learn the
This beginners course is aimed at those who want to learn the basic navigation skills to get them safely around the hills, it is run in the Wicklow Mountains.
During the day we will cover the following topics:
- Understanding the nature of the map as a two dimensional plan.
- Use of map symbols and scales on a range of maps, (1:50,000 and 1:25,000).
- Interpreting simple contour features.
- Understanding the parts of a compass.
- Orientating the map with and without the compass, then use the orientated map to identify land features and our direction of travel.
- Choose simple navigation strategies to reach a target.
- Use linear features, (paths and tracks), in simple navigation exercises.
- Estimate distances on the map and on the ground.
- Introduce the technique of timing.
- Take a safe and suitable route.
This course is run at a maximum ratio of 1:10 to ensure each client gets the most out of the day.
Location: Laragh, Wicklow Mountains
Duration: 1 Day
All Day (Saturday)