- Person Minimum age 13 yrs accompanied by an adult.
Hike Scarr Mountain with Views of Knocknacloghoge and Lough Dan!
Following part of the Wicklow Way along a narrow lane, the route soon begins the ascent of the handsomely-shaped Scarr mountain. After following the one kilometre summit ridge, it follows a rough mountain path to the subsidiary top of Kanturk. As we descend back into the valley, there are great views of Knocknacloghoge and Lough Dan, where scenes from the TV series, ‘The Vikings’ were shot.
The hike starts near the National Scout Centre at the southern end of Lough Dan. We begin by following a minor road which soon becomes a track, gradually ascending, we turn onto a woodland path that leads us to a traverse of the hill above Lough Dan, giving superb views of this unusually curved glacial lake. We then head uphill, steep at first, but then easing to a pleasant broad ridge.
This gives us great views of the nearby Knocknacloghoge as we make our way to Kanturch. Finally, we turn for the pull up to the summit of Scarr at 644 metres, (2,113ft) high. From this wonderful position we can get excellent views of much of the Wicklow range. From here we descend gradually back to our transport via a broad whaleback ridge.
- Good hiking boots and waterproof clothing are essential.
- Walking trousers are advised or comfortable athletic clothing (no jeans please).
- Spare warm layer; hat and gloves.
- Lunch and/or snacks; water or juice drink, (1.5 litres); small rucksack to carry it all in.
- Walking poles are optional.