This is a repeating eventapril 15, 2018 12:00 am
GO TO COURSE PAGE > If you know your way around a map and compass but are not sure if you could get off a hill safely if
If you know your way around a map and compass but are not sure if you could get off a hill safely if the hill fog came down. If you want to be able to navigate accurately away from paths, and on featureless terrain, then this is the course for you.
This course is held in the hills west of Laragh, in the Wicklow mountains.
Meeting point: Brockagh Church car park, Laragh 10.00am
In this 1 day course we will reprise some basic navigation techniques and cover the more advanced skills of route finding, including:
- Devising a navigation strategy.
- Pacing and timing over varying terrain.
- Walking on a compass bearing to locate a feature.
- Using navigation techniques including aiming off, tick features, catching features and attack points.
- Interpret contour features, large and small, on the map and on the ground.
- Relocation strategies.
- Route planning, with regard for safety and terrain.
- Access rights and responsibilities. (inc. Leave No Trace).
This course is run at a maximum ratio of 1:8 to ensure each client gets the most out of the day.
All Day (Sunday)