This is a repeating eventjuly 28, 2018 12:00 am
GO TO COURSE PAGE > Are you completely confused by your compass? Are maps a mystery? Then this 2 part course is for you. Part 2 of the course is
Are you completely confused by your compass? Are maps a mystery? Then this 2 part course is for you.
Part 2 of the course is based near Laragh, and gets us out into the Wicklow mountains to learn and get experience of ‘real’ navigation techniques. The two days are designed to be taken separately if required, and can be booked separately, or together.
Meeting point: Brockagh Church car park, Laragh 10.00am
On day 2 of the course we will revisit those skills learnt on day one.
In addition we will cover:
- The use of handrails, tick features and catching features as part of a navigation strategy.
- Interpreting contours to identify approximate slope angle, re-entrants, spurs, summits and saddles.
- Relocation using simple techniques on paths and other handrails.
- Use of a compass to take a bearing from the map to indicate direction of travel.
- Taking a safe and suitable route.
- Understanding access rights and responsibilities, (including Leave No Trace).
This course is run at a maximum ratio of 1:6 to ensure each client gets the most out of the day.
All Day (Sunday)