This is a repeating eventseptember 11, 2021
GO TO COURSE BOOKING PAGE > This beginners course is aimed at those who want to learn the
This beginners course is aimed at those who want to learn the basic navigation skills to get them safely around the hills, it is run in the Wicklow Mountains.
During the day we will cover the following topics:
- Understanding the nature of the map as a two dimensional plan.
- Use of map symbols and scales on a range of maps, (1:50,000 and 1:25,000).
- Interpreting simple contour features.
- Understanding the parts of a compass.
- Orientating the map with and without the compass, then use the orientated map to identify land features and our direction of travel.
- Choose simple navigation strategies to reach a target.
- Use linear features, (paths and tracks), in simple navigation exercises.
- Estimate distances on the map and on the ground.
- Introduce the technique of timing.
- Take a safe and suitable route.
This course is run at a maximum ratio of 1:10 to ensure each client gets the most out of the day.
Location: Laragh, Wicklow Mountains
Duration: 1 Day
All Day (Sunday)