Introduction to navigation course
Beginners 1 day mountain navigation course
The course is held on the tracks and hills around the village of Laragh, in the Wicklow mountains.
You should then take a little time to practice and consolidate what you have learned before progressing to higher courses.
About introduction to navigation
We will be meeting at the St Kevin’s School car park, near the church in Laragh village.
During the day we will cover the following topics:
- Understanding the nature of the map as a two dimensional plan.
- Use of map symbols and scales on a range of maps, (1:50,000 and 1:25,000).
- Taking a six figure grid reference for a given point on the map and locating a position from a given reference.
- Interpreting simple contour features.
- Understanding the parts of a compass.
- Orientating the map with and without the compass, then use the orientated map to identify land features and our direction of travel.
- Choose simple navigation strategies to reach a target.
- Use linear features, (paths and tracks), in simple navigation exercises.
- Estimate distances on the map and on the ground.
- Introduce the technique of timing.
- Take a safe and suitable route.
This course is run at a maximum ratio of 1:10 to ensure each client gets the most out of the day.
|MEETING POINT||St. Kevin’s School car park, Laragh 09.00am|
|WHAT TO BRING||Walking boots or waterproof shoes and waterproof jacket and trousers; hat and gloves; packed lunch and snacks; water or juice drink, (1.5 litres); small rucksack.|
How to get to the start:
To get to Laragh from Dublin take the N11 heading south. Get off at Kilmacanogue, (R775), and head for Roundwood. Go through Roundwood, then Annamoe and on to Laragh. The resource centre is near the church, turn right after the petrol station.
Introduction to Navigation Course Testimonials:
“…Russ provided excellent instruction on the basics of map-reading and using a compass. In the afternoon, Russ had us put our new skills to the test by finding our way from the village of Laragh up to Brockagh East and viewpoints of Glendalough and Glenmacnass valley. It was a great way to spend the day learning in a beautiful area with a talented instructor.” John P – reviewed 12th August 2015
Further reading on our blog:TO BOOKING FORM FULL CALENDAR OF ALL EVENTS
Find a date below and use the form to book
Below you’ll find dates for this course for the next 4 months, for more events and further dates for this event view the full calendar.
[add_eventon_list hide_past=”yes” event_type=”19″ number_of_months=”4″ hide_month_headers=”no” show_year=”yes” ux_val=”X” ]