Advanced Navigation – Day into Night Navigation Course
- Person Minimum age 13 yrs accompanied by an adult.
Advanced Level Navigation Course
Do you have a good grasp of navigation and want to extend your skills into night navigation? Have you been on our improvers navigation course and want to take the next step into the ultimate in poor visibility navigation? If so, then this course is for you.
The course is held in the Wicklow mountains.
We will reprise some basic navigation techniques and cover the more advanced skills of route finding in poor visibility, including:
- Devising a navigation strategy.
- Pacing and timing over varying terrain.
- Walking on a compass bearing to locate a feature.
- Using navigation techniques including aiming off, tick features, catching features and attack points.
- Interpreting contour features on the map and on the ground.
- Relocation strategies.
- Using some/all of the above to successfully
navigate at night.
- This programme is run at a maximum ratio of 1 instructor to 6 clients to ensure each client gets the most out of the course.
We will be using the EastWest 1:25,000 scale map Lugnaquilla and Glendalough, please bring this with you.
What to Bring
- Walking boots or waterproof shoes
- Waterproof jacket and trousers
- Hat and gloves
- Packed lunch and snacks
- Water or juice drink, (1.5 litres)
- Small rucksack to carry all in
- Silva Expedition 4 compass provided if required.
- Professional mountain leader with first aid certification and full insurance.