Maumturks – Connemara
Maumturks - Connemara
- Person Minimum age 13 yrs accompanied by an adult.
Maumturks – Connemara Hike
Sample some of the best summits and stunning views of the central Maumturks.
Starting south of Lough Inagh Lodge we cross the Western Way and head up the An Log Bán valley following the river and taking in its beautiful waterfalls.
After reaching a large cwm high on the mountain we follow a spur of rock heading up to Cnoc na hUilleann (Knocknahillion). This is our first of many opportunities to take in the stunning views of the 12 Bens and the coast of Connemara.
From here we follow the spectacular undulating ridge of the Maumturks, taking in the magnificent panorama of mountains around us, to reach our high point at Letterbreckaun (667m).
The ridge then doglegs right and left as we follow it north, before we descend gradually back into the valley. At the valley floor we follow the easy track of the Western Way back to our start point where we finish our Maumturks guided hike.
- Please ensure you wear good mountain footwear as the route is very rocky and slippery in places.
- Good hiking boots and waterproof clothing are essential (without these you may be excluded from the hike).
- Walking trousers are advised or comfortable athletic clothing (no jeans please).
- Spare warm layer; hat and gloves.
- Lunch and/or snacks; water or juice drink, (1.5 litres); small rucksack to carry it all in.