Introduction to Navigation Course
- Person Minimum age 13 yrs accompanied by an adult.
Beginners Navigation Course
The course is held on the tracks and hills around the village of Laragh, in the Wicklow mountains.
During the day we will cover the following topics:
- Understanding the nature of the map as a two dimensional plan.
- Use of map symbols and scales on a range of maps, (1:50,000 and 1:25,000).
- Taking a six figure grid reference for a given point on the map and locating a position from a given reference.
- Interpreting simple contour features.
- Understanding the parts of a compass.
- Orientating the map with and without the compass, then use the orientated map to identify land features and our direction of travel.
- Choose simple navigation strategies to reach a target.
- Use linear features, (paths and tracks), in simple navigation exercises.
- Estimate distances on the map and on the ground.
- Introduce the technique of timing.
- Take a safe and suitable route.
What to Bring
- Walking boots or waterproof shoes
- Waterproof jacket and trousers
- Hat and gloves
- Packed lunch and snacks
- Water or juice drink, (1.5 litres)
- Small rucksack
- Maps and compasses are supplied for the day
- Professional mountain leader with first aid- certification and full insurance
- Maximum tutor to client ratio of 1:8