Mountain Skills 1 (Wicklow)
- Person Minimum age 13 yrs accompanied by an adult.
Mountain Skills 1 Course (MS1)
Mountain Skills 1 is a entry level course for those wishing to aquire the essential skills to navigate, and to look after themselves in the mountains. It is an ideal course to learn the foundations of good navigation and is the platform from which to move on to higher level courses.
Our Mountain Skills 1 course runs over two consecutive days, usually at weekends but also in midweek. They are mainly run in the WICKLOW MOUNTAINS, though Connemara, the Galtees and the Mourne mountains are also used on occasion.
Our instructors are fully qualified Mountain Leaders with REC first aid certificates. We are accredited by Mountaineering Ireland to provide Mountain Skills courses.
To participate in Mountain Skills course 1 you should have a reasonable level of fitness with some previous hillwalking experience.
This Mountain Skills Course covers the following topics:
- Map reading
- Grid references
- Depiction of relief (contours)
- Mountain hazards
- Basic navigation techniques
- Pacing and timing
- Introduction to the compass
- Personal Equipment
- The mountain environment
- Route planning
What to Bring
- Walking boots or waterproof shoes
- Waterproof jacket and trousers
- Hat and gloves
- Packed lunch and snacks
- Water or juice drink, (1.5 litres)
- Small rucksack to carry all in
- Maps and compasses provided if required.
- Professional mountain leader with first aid certification and full insurance.
- Full and comprehensive course notes.
- Free ‘Safety in the Mountains’ book