Mountain Skills 2 (Wicklow)
- Person Minimum age 13 yrs accompanied by an adult.
Mountain Skills 2 Course
Mountain Skills 2 follows on from Mountain Skills 1 and consolidates much of the previous course material as well as teaching the use of a compass for poor visibility navigation. Our Mountain Skills 2 course runs over two consecutive days, usually at weekends, and includes a night navigation exercise of approx. 3 hours duration. They are mainly run in the WICKLOW MOUNTAINS.
Our instructors are fully qualified Mountain Leaders with REC first aid certificates. We are accredited by Mountaineering Ireland to provide Mountain Skills courses.
It is recommended that you complete Mountain Skills 1 before participating in this course, as it builds on the skills acquired in MS1.
This Mountain Skills Course covers the following topics:
- Consolidation of topics covered in MS1
- The use of a compass in navigation
- Emergency procedures
- Night navigation/poor visibility exercise
- Movement on steep and broken ground
What to Bring
- Good hiking boots and waterproof clothing are essential. (without them you may be excluded from participating).
- Hat and gloves.
- Head torch (essential)
- Packed lunch and snacks
- Water or juice drink, (1.5 litres)
- Small rucksack to carry all in
- Maps and compasses provided if required.
- Professional mountain leader with first aid certification and full insurance
- Comprehensive course notes