Scotland (Ben Nevis & Glen Coe) Hiking Weekend
Ben Nevis & Glen Coe - Scotland
- Person Minimum age 13 yrs accompanied by an adult.
Ben Navis Hill Climb
If you have ever dreamed of climbing the mighty Ben Nevis in Scotland, then join us on this holiday weekend trip to a land of iconic mountains and great beauty.
During our 3 day visit we will climb Ben Nevis and other stunning peaks in the Glen Coe area.
We will take a minibus from Dublin at 08.00 on the Friday morning, board the 11.30 ferry from Belfast and drive to our accommodation at Inchree near Glencoe.
The return journey will have us back in Dublin at approx. 00.30 am on the Tuesday morning.
Cost includes all transport from Dublin, accommodation, and 3 days guided mountain hikes.
Day 1: Ascent of Ben Nevis
Scotland hiking WeekendWe will climb Ben Nevis, at 1344 metres the highest point in the United Kingdom, from the Visitor Centre in Glen Nevis. To attempt this mountain you would need to be a reasonably experienced hillwalker with a good level of fitness and stamina. There is a steep and steady climb up a well made mountain path for much of the ascent, which becomes more rocky towards the summit.
- The distance is 17km (10.75 miles), with approx 1300 metres of ascent. The hike should take around 8 hours to complete. ( Note that mountain weather can be unpredictable, and as a result we may have to alter the itinerary to make our climb on day 2).
Day 2: Glen Coe
Scotland Hiking WeekendBeloved by car advert makers and James Bond movies, driving through the majestic Glen Coe is something that we never tire of. The valley is lined by a series of seemingly inaccessible towering peaks. We have a huge choice of mountains to climb here, and our exact itinerary will depend on the prevailing weather and our energy reserves on the day!
- Our options include Bidean nam Bian (1050 m), Stob Dearg (1022 m) and Stob Coire Raineach (925 m).
Day 3: Optional hike
After the exertions of the previous two days, you may wish to take it easy and do a little sightseeing. For those with a little more energy there will be a 3 -4 hour hike arranged. Possibilities include The Lost Valley, Glen Nevis and the Polldubh Falls or the Caledonian Canal.
- We will leave in the afternoon for our return journey to Dublin.
- 3 days hiking with professional mountain leaders with first aid certification and full insurance.
- Chance to explore the wonderful Glen Coe.
This event is graded as ‘strenuous’ and is not suitable for beginners.
- Good hiking boots and waterproof clothing are essential (without these you will be excluded from participating).
- Walking trousers are advised or comfortable athletic clothing (no jeans please).
- Spare warm layer; hat and gloves.
- Lunch and/or snacks; water or juice drink, (1.5 litres); small rucksack to carry it all in.
- Walking poles are optional.