Benbaun and the Glencorbet Horseshoe
- Person Minimum age 13 yrs accompanied by an adult.
About the Benbaun guided hike
Benbaun, the highest peak in Co. Galway, sits at the head of Glencorbet and makes for a very special horseshoe hike.
We meet in Leenane and car share to our start point in Glencorbet.
Crossing the Kylemore River we head up onto Knockpasheemore before following the broad ridge as it steepens to the summit of Benbaun (729m).
We now head north to Benfree and Benbrack before heading east down a long pleasant ridge back to our start point.
This hike is graded as ‘Strenuous’ and is not suitable for beginners.
- Good hiking boots and waterproof clothing are essential (without these you will be excluded from the hike).
- Walking trousers are advised or comfortable athletic clothing (no jeans please).
- Spare warm layer; hat and gloves.
- Lunch and/or snacks; water or juice drink, (1.5 litres); small rucksack to carry it all in.