The Spinc and Derrybawn Ridge
- Person Minimum age 13 yrs accompanied by an adult.
Explore The Spinc Trail and Derrybawn Ridge on this Wicklow Mountains Hike
Starting at the Glendalough visitor centre, this Spinc Trail hike climbs onto the Derrybawn ridge for magnificent views of the surrounding mountains, it then follows a broad ridge over Mullacor, before turning onto a boardwalk across the Spinc, a long ridge with steep crags dropping to the lake below. A final descent via the Poulanass waterfall brings us back into the valley.
This Spinc hike begins in Glendalough, where we quickly climb through forest and onto the open flanks of Derrybawn mountain. We soon gain the summit to enjoy superb views over the surrounding hills. The route then follows the pleasant ridge to gain the days highpoint, Mullacor, at 665 metres.
We begin our descent by traversing the broad hillside of Lugduff to join the boardwalk above the Spinc, an iconic crag that towers above the upper lake, again the views are superb. A fairly steep descent follows, again on a boardwalk, before we return to the valley.
- Good hiking boots and waterproof clothing are essential.
- Walking trousers are advised or comfortable athletic clothing (no jeans please).
- Spare warm layer; hat and gloves.
- Lunch and/or snacks; water or juice drink, (1.5 litres); small rucksack to carry it all in.